Monday, September 14, 2026

Why Freedom of Speech Matters to Me


When I first looked at the eight values of free expressions, the two that stood out to me the most were the Marketplace of Ideas and Individual Self-Fulfillment. At first, they seem like two completely different ideas. One is about finding the truth through different opinions, while the other is about being abble to express yourself and figure out who you are. But the more I thought about them, the more I realized how connected they are to my everyday life, especially through social media, college, and the career I want to have. 

The Marketplace of Ideas is the idea when people are allowed to share different opinions, the truth has a better chance of coming out. Instead of only allowing one opinion to be heard, everyone gets the opportunity to speak, disagree, challenge each other, and decide what they believe.

I see this constantly on social media.

Everyday, I open TikTok, Instagram, or X and see people arguing about politics, sports, celebrities, current events, or basically anything else. Sometimes the information is accurate, and sometimes it definitely is not. That is one of the biggest problems with modern version of the Marketplace of Ideas. There are so many opinions being shared that it can be difficult to figure out what is actually true.

Social media had basically created a giant marketplace where everyone is trying to get your attention.

That is why I think protecting free expression is about more than just letting people talk. It is about creating an environment where people feel like they can actually be themselves. According to the Foundation for individual Rights and Expression's 2026 College Free Rankings, students across hundreds of colleges continue to report self-censoring because of concerns about how other students, professors, or administrators might respond. The study surveyed more than 68,000 college students, which shows that this is not just an issue at one school.


I also think the Marketplace of ideas connects directly to the career I want. As someone Interested in sports media and eventually becoming an on-ice reporter, I do not want to just repeat what everyone else is saying. I want to be able to ask questions, hear different perspectives, and tell a story from more than one point of view. If everyone involved in a story had to agree with each other, journalism would be pretty pointless.

At the same time. I think Individual Self-Fulfillment is just as important.

This value says that free speech allows people to express themselves, develop their identities, and find people who relate to them. That feels especially relevant to me as a college student. College is a time when a lot of people are figuring out who they are, what they believe, what they care about, and what they want their lives to look like. 

For me, social media is a huge part of that. Whether I am posting about hockey, college, my friends, or just something I am interested in, I am choosing what parts of myself I want other people to see. It gives me a way to be creative and connect with people who have similar interests.

But there is also pressure that comes with that.


Sometimes people do not post what they actually think because they are worried about being judged. This is not just something I have noticed personally. A recent national study of college students found that students continue to self-censor because they are afraid of social, professional, or legal consequences for what they say. That honestly does not surprise me. College can sometimes feel like everyone is watching what everyone else says. 

That is why I think protecting free expression is about more than just letting people talk. It is about creating an environment where people feel like they can actually be themselves.

I do not think free speech means I have to agree with everyone. In fact, i think the opposite is true. Being exposed to opinions I disagree with can force me to think harder about what I believe and why I believe it. SOmetimes I might change my mind, and sometimes I might become even more confident in my original opinion. 

That is the point. 

The Marketplace of Ideas gives is the opportunity to challenge each other, while Individual Self-Fulfillment gives us the freedom to figure out we are in the process. I see both of these values every day through social media, college conversations. sports, and even the career I hope to have someday. 

Free expression is not always comfortable, and I do not think it is supposed to be. But without the ability to speak, disagree, question, create, and sometimes even be wrong, we would lose a huge part of what makes us individuals.

And honestly, I think that is what makes free speech worth protecting.  

 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment